2.27.2012

Projects for Hoarders

I was at the gym the other day and caught a quick glimpse of the show hoarders. That show is pretty fascinating. As I was watching, I felt so sad for the people on the show. They just can't part with their belongings.

Then it hit me...am I a hoarder? No, surely not. Wait, could I be in twenty years? Maybe. Yikes.

It's a problem, but it isn't out of control yet. I have a habit of collecting things I think are great and then doing nothing with them. They sit in my basement and take up space. A basement, by the way, is a gateway drug to hoarding. It's true.

I also feel like I could help people with hoarding, but not in the traditional sense of helping. I could just help them to not get rid of it, but use if for aesthetic good. Jeremy just told me that was enabling and not helping.

Either way, this got me thinking. If I have time to find inspiration on the internet or go antiquing every other weekend, then I should have time to do something with the things I find. Seems logical. I can make time. Especially, if the projects are as fast and easy as these.

Have jars and photos just sitting around? Use the old mason jars and bottles you have been collecting to display old family photos.

image found here

At my grandmother's estate sale last fall, I picked up several vintage hankies/linens. You can frame them as art or make them into accent pillows (easy tutorial here).

image found here

Do you hoard old magazines or books? Perfect! Make a coffee table out of them.

image found here


I see one of these dang rusty rakes every time I go antiquing and I keep not buying one. Why? They are very inexpensive ($8-$10) and extremely useful for all your hanging needs.

images found here and here

Dig out old suitcases from your basement and stack them up as a nightstand or end table.

image found here

Do you own a wooden crate or any sort of storage unit? Put wheels on it to make it look "industrial" and more awesome. Easy Peasy.

Side note: the industrial trend with wheels on everything reminds me of the show Portlandia and "put a bird on it."

No comments:

Post a Comment